Pages

My Blog List

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Dedication/Determination/Transformation

This is the picture that I showed my Coach, Lisa Thiel ,in July 2009 and said this is what I want to get back to. This was taken in July 2006, 3 yrs prior to starting Crossfit. Since this picture I had gained 30#s and I won't give my body fat percentile cause it was not pretty. So, I signed up for Jack and Adam's boot camps twice a week, then three times a week. I was slow at first but before long I gained momentum, intensity, and an energy that felt great! Then had the opportunity to participate in the Women's Challenge/Sept.2009. This was a turning point for me. I saw the strength and vitality in the women of Crossfit and the belief that Lisa had in my vision for success. I started to discover the empowering success stories of others. This was where the journey truly began and I realized I was the only one in my own way.The picture below was taken at the Challenge. I almost didn't post it out of embarrassment but realized that this is probably the most important photo because it shows how far I've come. In this picture I weighed in at 195...

...And then this is what happened. I got motivated. I knew I had it in me. I had a mission. I started to see results. My family and friends started to notice and encourage me. I started Indoor Women's Classes w/ Coach Jess. I did the I Am Crossfit challenge, joined an incredible team of driven individuals w/ an incredible Coach(Lisa Thiel), learned how to fuel the body, balance diet and exercise w/ recreation and play through Coach Glassman's


"Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar. Keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat. Practice and train major lifts: Deadlift, clean, squat, presses, C&J, and snatch. Similarly, master the basics of gymnastics: pull-ups, dips, rope climb, push-ups, sit-ups, presses to handstand, pirouettes, flips, splits, and holds. Bike, run, swim, row, etc, hard and fast. Five or six days per week mix these elements in as many combinations and patterns as creativity will allow. Routine is the enemy. Keep workouts short and intense. Regularly learn and play new sports."

... I learned the power of the human mind. I remembered that God blessed me w/ a strong body that needs to be put to use. I surrounded myself w/ the Crossfit Community and studying what it would take to get where athletes like Carey Kepler , Lindsey Smith, Crystal McReynolds and all the crossfit central women's coaches. How do they do it?!!

I competed in and completed South Texas Sectionals 2010, coming in 32nd place.


Made it happen one small step at a time, makin smart choices everyday.When I messed up, I'd make the next best choice. I learned there are no excuses if you really want it you can have it. So go out there and get it! Now, I'm back to my fightin' weight!

"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee, your hands can't hit, what your eyes can't see."...
-Ali


12 comments:

  1. Em, you are such an inspiration! I'm so happy you posted your journey. I can't wait to do a workout with you again because from the outside it seems like you have no mental barriors and it's great to be around people like that!

    Let's train for the 2011 Games together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got crazy teary & excited reading this. YOU ARE AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such an inspiration and I'm glad that shared your story (and that pic) with us! I have personally committed on working towards the 2011 games...and you're a large part of that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Emily! This is Kelly,
    I think you are amazing! I am so happy you came into my life, my childrens and my whole families life! You inspire me to get to where I know I can be. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a rockstar! And, I'm so inspired by your story. With every challenge comes a new opportunity to become what you were destined to be: GREAT!

    Keep crushin' it, Em!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for sharing Em. You're an amazing woman, and your story is so inspiring and empowering. You're so right-gotta go for it and ditch those excuses!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are awesome Emily! Thanks for sharing your story and motivating others!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Emily, Congratulations! I think you mention several key things but two that stand out and I hope others see are 1) you were the only one in your way - you made the decision 2) you started slowing 2x a week, then 3x, and now 5x a week! You did it one step at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are such an inspiration! I'm so impressed with your transformation and I thank you for sharing your strength with us. You rock!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this blog, Em. I'm just so stinkin' proud of you!! Keep on keepin' on! I'm training for a half marathon and I just ran 8 miles tonight!! WOOO! I'm breaking barriers like the old days. Next thing I need to work on is nourishment. I'm upping my miles but no weight is coming off...

    ReplyDelete